The Groom’s Guide to Grooming
Oftentimes when we think of a wedding we automatically think of a bride. Her dress, her hair, and even what her bridesmaids will be wearing next to her on the big day. But what about the guys? While ladies may have more steps to prepare for the big day, men want to look their best too. So we turned to our friends at Harry’s for some grooming guidance.
Here are 5 tips from the experts to help the groom get ready for his big day:
1) Focus on the Face Your wedding day appearance will live on long after your day is over. Through pictures and videos, your wedding day will forever be immortalized. With the face being the focus of the day, it’s important that the groom masters his facial hair grooming technique. We wouldn’t want him to look back and have any regret! The first step is to use quality razor and shaving products to guarantee a smooth shave. Whether the groom is clean shaven or sporting a beard, it should always look clean and intentional. Shaving with the grain of the hair will avoid any tug and pull and aid in an easy shave. If you’re aiming for a closer shave, re-lather and make a second pass of the razor against the grain of your hair. You won’t be disappointed (and neither will the camera!)
2) Hydrate Your Skin For obvious reasons, you want your skin to be clear on your wedding day. Using a good face wash that has moisturizing ingredients like shea butter or aloe will do the trick and also help in the effort to keep your skin clear (drinking lots of water is a great trick as well.) With that being said, don’t do yourselves a disservice and skip lathering yourselves with a good body lotion as well. You’re sure to be shaking many hands on your big day, so make sure your hands aren’t dry and cracked.
3) Satisfy the Smile On arguably one of the most important days of your life, you’re going to be smiling from ear to ear. Invest in a teeth whitening product that will enhance your pearly whites and help them shine. Talk to your dentist about professional teeth whitening options. Maybe a professional job isn’t in the budget. There are many at home teeth whitening kits that have proven results. Sometimes being the center of attention is a challenge, but a whiter smile can give you an added boost of confidence. It could prove to be just the thing you need before you stand in front of your friends and family!
4) Hands Off the Hair! Some may think the groom can just roll out of bed, put a tux on and be ready to go. But this isn’t the case. While the groom doesn’t have to designate a few hours to get his hair done professionally, he does have to dedicate himself to a style and cut that is manageable. This is something beneficial to think about a few months before the wedding so there aren’t any mishaps. If you’re interested in trying a new cut, don’t try it the week of your wedding. If you hate it, you have time to grow it out! You also want to test out different hair styling products to ensure that you have the strongest hair hold. One thing to note is that you should avoid using new hair products that you’ve never tried before. We recommend using hypoallergenic fragrance-free hair products. You won’t want to risk using a product that includes irritating ingredients which could leave you with a bad rash reaction!
5) Fitness Feels Good We’re not saying you should need to revamp your entire workout routine (or create one if yours is currently non existent.) However, we are suggesting that you should take an hour out of your day to go for a jog or walk around the neighborhood. Sometimes we have pent up stress that we never knew existed until we take some time to work it off. You’ll be amazed at how different you’ll feel when you take some time to clear your mind and get moving!